Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.

After getting my full licence in 1978 the first band to use was 2M. Six months later I started playing on the 3cm band. Wideband FM was the used mode those day's. 15mW output and a 12db horn antenna. Later replaced by a 70cm parabolic antenna. Again 6 months later 23cm experiments started. The first transverter was a homebrew contraption with smal tubes. Can't remember the type but do remember the fist QSO with it. There must have been good conditions. Put a smal 30cm parabolic dish out of the window I did hear an G station, G3LQR. After the QSO one of the capacitors exploded and the 300V DC out of the transverter killed my solidstate oscillator.

The second attemt was a DF8QK design. Complete with a amplifier producing 1W and a BFR34 pe-amp I worked lot's of stations over the years. Later the whole setup was replaced by a DB6NT design.

In the late 80's I build the modular G3WDG system for 3cm. Added a 10W TWT and an 70cm dish antenna to it and this contraption has been hanging in the mast for some 5 - 6 years. The TWT was replaced after 4 years by the same type but newer one producing 15Watt's.

Another 6-7 months after finishing the DF8QK 23cm transverter I build a 13cm transverter. This was a design I found in a German magazine. If my memory serves me right it was one of the prototype designs for what later became the SSB-electronics transverter. Together with a 10W amplifier and DJ9BV preamp added over the years I still use this set-up. Next were 9 and 6cm. On both bands I use DB6NT designs. On 9cm the amplifier is an old wimax amp producing almost 30Watts. On 6 only 100mW but an ampifier is on the way. :-)

Somewhere in between projects in the 90's i decided to try to get 24GHz activated. For some weird reason the first try was a hit. everything worked first time. DB6NT 12GHz oscillator worked fine, producing 30mW ( lots of others could not get the same design working !) and the mixer and amplifiers worked first attemt. 30mW output and the pre-amp had a noise figure of 3.2db. We're talking 1994, so not to bad at all. A small 2W, 60db teledyne TWT found in a surplus store and originaly for 18GHz max was used on 24GHz.  A nice 180mW output was the result.

Right now I'm finishing a 47GHz tranverter wich has been in the junkbox for 25 years. only needed to be build together. Receiving works. Only needs to be tuned in the transmit mode. fingers crossed.